Ten years ago, Monsignor Bonner & Archbishop Prendergast High School almost closed.
A Blue Ribbon Commission put the high school on its closure list.
Administrators, students, families, alumni and community members appealed, raising $1 million in 13 days to keep the school open. The fund grew to over $5 million.
On Feb. 24, 2012, Archbishop Charles Chaput announced the school could remain open.
Patrick Walsh, a senior that year, is now he’s the Bonner and Prendergast Director of Enrollment Management.
“I think about that day every time I walk into work,” Walsh said. “To see our current students thrive in this building and call it their second home, it shows everything we fought for ten years ago was worth it.”
A group of businesspeople came together after the announcement and created the Faith in the Future Foundation, building a model so the school could survive.
School President Dr. John Cooke said the school is much stronger today.
“Each year since 2012, we have met our growing enrollment and fundraising goals,” commented Cooke. “Last year, we enrolled the largest incoming freshmen class throughout the entire archdiocese. Our budget has been in the black every fiscal year since 2012.”
Read more at the Daily Times about the success of Bonner & Prendie High School.
The reaction when the announcement is made that Monsignor Bonner & Archbishop Prendergast High School will stay open.
Here’s a history of Bonner and Prendergast High Schools.