The VWR Foundation, a charitable organization based in Radnor that is dedicated to giving back to the science community, distributed 20 grants totaling more than $140,000 during its Board Meeting in July.
Among the grant recipients was The Helping Hand Project at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, the mission of which is to use forward thinking and innovative technologies to provide useful prosthetic devices to those in need at no cost to the patient or his or her family. The VWR Foundation’s grant will provide funds for equipment and supplies needed to print and assemble prosthetic devices.
“With the support from the VWR Foundation, the Helping Hand Project at UNC Charlotte will be able to provide low-cost prosthetic devices to thousands of children in need while also promoting STEM education across the U.S.,” said Dr. Richard Chi, Assistant Professor at UNC Charlotte.
“These grant dollars will supply our student-run organization with dedicated 3D printers and materials to print prosthetic devices, ultimately reducing our delivery time to just days.”
The VWR Foundation also awarded the following organizations with Founders Grants this month:
- Austin Science Education Foundation in Austin, Texas
- Baltimore Underground Science Space in Baltimore, Md.
- Cobb Street Children Learning Center in Roseburg, Ore.
- Cristo Rey Jesuit High School in Chicago, Ill.
- Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School in Jacksonville, Fla.
- Ewing Young Elementary in Newberg, Ore.
- Fernbank Inc in Atlanta, Ga.
- Lowrey Public School in Tahlequah, Okla.
- National University Academy in Vista, Calif.
- Partners in Education in Newberg, Ore.
- Renaissance Jax in Jacksonville, Fla.
- Riverbend Environmental Education Center in Gladwyne, Pa.
- Rotolo Middle School in Batavia, Ill.
- Science Factory Inc in Eugene, Ore.
- Science Museum of Minnesota in Saint Paul, Minn.
- Trilok Fusion Arts in Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Wellsboro Area School District in Wellsboro, Pa.
- Wood Hudson Cancer Research Laboratory in Newport, Ky.
- Wylie High School in Abilene, Texas