Dr. Anna Broomall, a pioneer in the field of women’s medicine, made a huge impact on both obstetrics and the history of Delaware County, according to a report for the Delaware County News Network.
While studying at the Women’s Medical College of Philadelphia, the Upper Chichester native was one of nine women attending lectures at the Pennsylvania Hospital for the first time in 1869.
After graduating in 1871, Broomall was appointed assistant physician at the Women’s Hospital of Philadelphia. She left to study in Paris and Vienna before returning in 1874. By 1878, she was physician-in-charge at the Women’s Hospital.
Broomall also established one of the first maternal care clinics in the country in South Philadelphia and advocated for Caesarian sections.
She retired in 1903 and volunteered at the Delaware County Historical Society as a librarian and curator. She later donated her collection of scrapbooks to the Society.
To honor her contributions to medicine and the region, the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission will dedicate a historical marker to Broomall on March 26 at Widener University. Those interested in attending the event can RSVP here.
Read more about Dr. Anna Broomall from the Delaware County News Network by clicking here.